Friday 26 October 2007

The Neil Young Problem

I thought my chance to see one of my musical heroes had passed two weeks ago when I missed out on tickets to the four nights Neil Young is playing at the United Palace Theatre in New York. But an extra night has just been announced with tickets going on sale this Monday. A ticket will cost me $70 which, for a man earning $200 a week, is a serious chunk of change.

So here’s my dilemma - does seeing Neil Young for one night (as stupendous as it may be) outweigh a week’s worth of new experiences in New York? Or can I find ways to enjoy my new home on something like $10 a day after I’ve bought food? Is it food that I need to cut from my budget?

Maybe the lack of cash will actually help me to explore the city. It will encourage me to be more enterprising and search out the cheap ways to entertain myself. I have found that in this town there is always a cheap (or free) alternative. A Twenty dollar boat tour around the harbour? No way, I’ll take the free, Staten Island Ferry please. Eat out at a fancy, Italian restaurant? Er, I’d rather have a $2 falafel thank you very much. Buy expensive toilet paper? Are you kidding – it’s Autumn there are leaves everywhere.

I’ve already managed to cut some of my expenditure - walking twenty blocks to avoid a $2 subway ride is not even a hard decision anymore. All I hope is that, unlike this week. I won’t be waiting for it to turn midnight (when my wages are paid in) at an ATM so I can get some money to buy dinner. But to see Neil Young, that may just be worth it.

1 comment:

San Sharma said...

Good job talk is cheap too.
You should keep blogging, man, whack some ads on. Might just cover your subway fare.